My first polymer clay components were all made with textures impressed into them – either commercial rubber stamps or else designs I pressed into them with various tools. Having created the designs, they were then cut out using cookie cutters or, in one case, the lid from an aerosol can.
So this week, I decided to try making some push molds, using a 2 part silicone compound.
In a few minutes the putty hardens into a rubbery silicone mold. You then remove the object and viola, you have a mold into which you can press your polymer clay. It sounds easy and fun.
I gave it a go earlier this week, using some buttons that had interesting textures. But all the molds I made were lopsided. It turns out that it is a bit tricky to press the button into the molding compound with exactly the same pressure on all sides. Fellow AJE team member, Kristi Bowman, suggested that I try pressing the molding compound onto my objects, rather than pressing the objects into the mold.
So that’s what I tried yesterday. I used a fun flower shaped magnet and pressed a layer of molding compound onto the flower side. Then I added more compound and built it up around the bottom and the edges, so it would be thicker, (when I made molds the first time, several were too thin on the bottom and they tore).
It’s certainly better than my first attempts, (for which I have no pictures), but if you look carefully at about the 9:00 position, you’ll see that some of the petals have dents in them. I think this is because I un-molded the magnet too soon and I damaged the still-soft mold while trying to get the magnet out.
Then I went through the same process with a heart shaped faux cinnabar bead.