I sat down the other day to work on some cat pieces and realized the design could use some improvement.
I pulled a photo of my cat Elliot and got to work.
The first step remained the same, forming the head on a ball of clay.
Before the head is fully sculpted, I start pinching two little ears.
Then the body gets some shape and I begin creating a neck.
A bit more detailing on the ears.
Here’s where I began changing the design. I started giving the front more shape, instead of just being a round blob.
I also re-designed the legs. First, I lightly sketch out where I’d like the legs to be and then I sculpted a bit more on their sides to define the shape.
After the legs are sculpted, eat foot gets a paw.
After the paws are on, I roll and attach a tail.
And here are the new and improved cats next to the old design. I still have to bisque fire, glaze and fire them again. I can’t wait to see how the new design looks when it’s completed!